Youth on Wednesday (YOW!)
Confirmation was celebrated on Saturday, May 11 at the 5:00 p.m. worship service.
Mission Trip for Youth in Grades 8-12, Twin Cities, MN, July 20-26 - There's still space available!
All youth in grades 8-12 are encouraged to join us for the summer mission trip. This year we will be serving in the Twin Cities through YouthWorks. These trips are a wonderful opportunity to build community and to explore service and mission. We also have a lot of fun! The cost is $150. Scholarships are available. For more information contact Teresa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about YouthWorks and the Twin Cities site, please visit https://youthworks.com/trips/twin-cities-mn/ I am also happy to discuss the trip in more detail, just let me know.
Pre-confirmation and Confirmation are intended to be experiential learning processes, Using web based materials, evenings begin with a large group gathering using multi-media. The events are, scripturally rooted, and explored in depth throughout the year. The confirmation evenings are designed to help the middle school/high school students delve ever more deeply into:
- the biblical foundations of faith
- the history of the Christian Church
- our Lutheran understanding of ministry and life
- the liturgical symbols that inform our faith
- the moral demands of belief in Jesus
- reflection on the place of faith in their lives
Becoming a person of faith is done within the context of the community. We believe that community building is essential to becoming disciples. The Confirmation process strives to build community through fun gatherings as well as instruction. Whether we are beginning the year with an old fashioned Tailgate party or heading out to Culvers for an ice cream Sundae, we are striving to become a community of faith.
III. FAITH IN ACTION:
We believe at Messiah Church that faith formation must be experiential and that all formation must take place in the context of outreach. The Confirmation class has many oportunities throughout the three year process to put their faith into action. Here are some of the activities that the Confirmation youth have participated in:
- Crop Walk for Hunger Awareness
- Planning, Preparing and serving the Homeless Meal at the Madison Men’s Shelter
- Volunteering at the Animal Shelter
- Sorting donated items at St. Vincent de Paul
- Collecting goods for Domestic Abuse Intervention Services
- Raking leaves for the homebound
- Volunteering as Sunday School mentor or teacher’s aid
- Working as communion assistants, readers or acolytes
- Participating on our yearly Youth Mission Trip