Until Further Notice, All YOW Gatherings are Cancelled. For more information contact Teresa Palumbo at email@example.com.
Summer Mission Trip
The 2020 summer mission trip will be July 26-31 to Indianapolis, IN via Youth Works. Youth in grades 8-12 are encouraged to participate.This will be our second urban ministry experience. Over the course of the week we will work with young children, the elderly, do home improvement projects and work with a broad range of social service agencies.
Pre-confirmation and Confirmation are intended to be experiential learning processes, Using web based materials, evenings begin with a large group gathering using multi-media. The events are, scripturally rooted, and explored in depth throughout the year. The confirmation evenings are designed to help the middle school/high school students delve ever more deeply into:
- the biblical foundations of faith
- the history of the Christian Church
- our Lutheran understanding of ministry and life
- the liturgical symbols that inform our faith
- the moral demands of belief in Jesus
- reflection on the place of faith in their lives
Becoming a person of faith is done within the context of the community. We believe that community building is essential to becoming disciples. The Confirmation process strives to build community through fun gatherings as well as instruction. Whether we are beginning the year with an old fashioned Tailgate party or heading out to Culvers for an ice cream Sundae, we are striving to become a community of faith.
III. FAITH IN ACTION:
We believe at Messiah Church that faith formation must be experiential and that all formation must take place in the context of outreach. The Confirmation class has many oportunities throughout the three year process to put their faith into action. Here are some of the activities that the Confirmation youth have participated in:
- Crop Walk for Hunger Awareness
- Planning, Preparing and serving the Homeless Meal at the Madison Men’s Shelter
- Volunteering at the Animal Shelter
- Sorting donated items at St. Vincent de Paul
- Collecting goods for Domestic Abuse Intervention Services
- Raking leaves for the homebound
- Volunteering as Sunday School mentor or teacher’s aid
- Working as communion assistants, readers or acolytes
- Participating on our yearly Youth Mission Trip